Simon Bruce Murdoch MacLean, Gregory Ian Bain
Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Jan – Apr 2018 | Page 42-46
Author: Simon Bruce Murdoch MacLean , Gregory Ian Bain 
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Simon MacLean,
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia.
The treatment of Kienbock’s disease has remained a clinical challenge since its original description over 100 years ago. We present our concepts on pathoanatomy and the role of new imaging modalities. Arthroscopic assessment remains the “gold standard” for the assessment of the lunate and wrist. We present our classification and algorithm as a management aid to the treating surgeon. In addition, we outline the indications and techniques of a number of arthroscopic procedures used to treat the Kienbock’s wrist.
Keywords: Kienbock’s disease; arthroscopy; Imaging.
1. Kienbock R. Concerning traumatic malacia of the lunate and its consequences: Joint degeneration and compression. FortschGeb Roentgen 1910;16:77-103.
2. Lichtman DM, Mack GR, MacDonald RI, Gunther SF, Wilson JN. Kienböck’s disease: The role of silicone replacement arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1977;59:899-908.
3. Bain G, MacLean S, Yeo C, Perilli E, Lichtman D. The etiology and pathogenesis of kienböck disease. J Wrist Surg 2016;5:248-54.
4. Lichtman DM, Pientka WF, Bain GI. Kienböck disease: A new algorithm for the 21st century. J Wrist Surg 2017;6:2-10.
5. Lichtman DM, Pientka WF, Bain GI. Kienböck disease: Moving forward. J Hand Surg Am 2016;41:630-8.
6. Lichtman DM, Bain GI. Kienbock’s Disease: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment. 1st ed. Tokyo: Spinger; 2016.
7. Bain GI, MacLean SB, Tse WL, Ho PC, Lichtman DM. Kienböck disease and arthroscopy: Assessment, classification, and treatment. J Wrist Surg 2016;5:255-60.
8. MacLean SBM, Kantar K, Bain GI, Lichtman DM. The role of wrist arthroscopy in kienbock disease. Hand Clin 2017;33:727-34.
9. Bain GI, Durrant A. An articular-based approach to kienbock avascular necrosis of the lunate. Tech Hand Up ExtremSurg 2011;15:41-7.
10. Corre AL, Huynh KP, Dhaliwal RS, Bain GI. Development of a protocol for SPECT/CT in the assessment of wrist disorders. J Wrist Surg 2016;5:297-305.
11. Cerezal L, Abascal F, Canga A, García-Valtuille R, Bustamante M, del Piñal F, et al. Usefulness of gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging in the evaluation of the vascularity of scaphoid nonunions. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000;174:141-9.
12. Schmitt R, Heinze A, Fellner F, Obletter N, Strühn R, Bautz W, et al. Imaging and staging of avascular osteonecroses at the wrist and hand. Eur J Radiol 1997;25:92-103.
13. Wassilew GI, Janz V, Heller MO, Tohtz S, Rogalla P, Hein P, et al.Real time visualization of femoroacetabular impingement and subluxation using 320-slice computed tomography. J Orthop Res 2013;31:275-81.
14. Wijeratna MD, Troupis JM, Bell SN. The use of four-dimensional computed tomography to diagnose costoclavicular impingement causing thoracic outlet syndrome. Shoulder Elbow 2014;6:273-5.
15. Garcia-Elias M, Alomar Serrallach X, Monill Serra J. Dart-throwing motion in patients with scapholunate instability: A dynamic four-dimensional computed tomography study. J Hand SurgEurVol 2014;39:346-52.
16. Demehri S, Hafezi-Nejad N, Morelli JN, Thakur U, Lifchez SD, Means KR, et al.Scapholunate kinematics of asymptomatic wrists in comparison with symptomatic contralateral wrists using four-dimensional CT examinations: Initial clinical experience. Skeletal Radiol 2016;45:437-46.
17. Demehri S, Wadhwa V, Thawait GK, Fattahi N, Means KR, Carrino JA, et al. Dynamic evaluation of pisotriquetral instability using 4-dimensional computed tomography. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2014;38:507-12.
18. Bell SN, Troupis JM, Miller D, Alta TD, Coghlan JA, Wijeratna MD, et al. Four-dimensional computed tomography scans facilitate preoperative planning in snapping scapula syndrome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2015;24:e83-90.
19. Bain GI, Begg M. Arthroscopic assessment and classification of kienbock’s disease. Tech Hand Up ExtremSurg 2006;10:8-13.
20. McGuire DT, Bain GI. Radioscapholunate fusions. J Wrist Surg 2012;1:135-40.
21. Bain GI, Ondimu P, Hallam P, Ashwood N. Radioscapholunate arthrodesis-a prospective study. Hand Surg 2009;14:73-82.
|How to Cite this article:. MacLean S B M, Bain G I.Advances in Kienbock’s Disease: Imaging and Arthroscopy. Asian Journal of Arthroscopy Jan – April 2017;2(1):42-46.|