Volume 6 | Issue 1 | January-June 2021 | Page 03-07 | Vijayamohan, Shyam Gopal V, Mohana Chandran, Aleena Antony
Author: Vijayamohan , Shyam Gopal V , Mohana Chandran , Aleena Antony 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Aster Centre of Excellence in Orthopaedics & Rheumatology, Aster Medcity, Kochi, Kerala, India.
 Department of Physiotherapy, Aster Centre of Excellence in Orthopaedics & Rheumatology, Aster Medcity, Kochi, Kerala, India
 Counsellor, Aster Centre of Excellence in Orthopaedics &Rheumatology, Aster Medcity, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Shyam Gopal V,
Specialist, Aster centre of Excellence in Orthopaedics & Rheumatology,
Aster Medcity, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament surgery continues to evolve, with the current emphasis being on immediate weight bearing and range of motion, and progressive muscular strengthening, proprioception, dynamic stability, and neuromuscular control drills. In this study we evaluate the functional outcome of Immediate full weight bearing mobilization following arthroscopic ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) reconstruction with quadrupled hamstring graft using endobutton and bioscrew. With the advancement of fixation techniques immediate weight bearing mobilization after arthroscopic ACL reconstruction can give better functional outcome and improved patient satisfaction. Although further large volume multicentric research is needed for establishing a
standardized rehabilitation protocol following arthroscopic ACL reconstruction, immediate weight bearing doesn’t cause any complications and has better outcome as per our study.
Keywords: Arthroscopic reconstruction, ACL, Immediate weight bearing.
1 . John T. Cavanaugh, Matthew PowersACL Rehabilitation Progression: Where Are We Now? Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017 Sep; 10(3): 289–296. Published online 2017 Aug 8. doi: 10.1007/s12178-017-9426-3
2. Tyler TF, McHugh MP, Gleim GW, Nicholas the effect of immediate weightbearing after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. SJClin Orthop Relat Res. 1998 Dec; (357):141-8.
3. Rafael F. Escamilla, PT, PhD, CSCS, FACSM1Toran D. MacLeod, PT, PhD2Kevin E. Wilk, PT, DPT3Lonnie Paulos, MD4James R. Andrews, MD5ACL Strain and Tensile Forces for Weight Bearing and Non—Weight-Bearing Exercises After ACL Reconstruction: A Guide to Exercise SelectionJournal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical TherapyPublished Online:March 1, 2012Volume42Issue3Pages208-220
4. Heijne A, Werner S. Early versus late start of open kinetic chain quadriceps exercises after ACL reconstruction with patellar tendon or hamstring grafts: a prospective randomized outcome study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007;15:402-414. http://dx.doi. org/10.1007/s00167-006-0246-
5.Agarwal AR, Dussa KR, Singhal A, et al. A retrospective analysis of arthroscopic ACL reconstruction with hamstring tendon graft. J. Evid. Based Med. Healthc. 2017; 4(64), 3841-3845. DOI: 10.18410/jebmh/2017/767
6. Jorgensen U, Jensen CM, Scanvenius M, et al. Rehabilitation with or without initial weightbearing: a prospective randomized study. Presented at: Sports Medicine 2000; June 6-8, 1995; Stockholm, Sweden.
7. Lysholm J, Gillquist J. (1982) Evaluation of knee ligament surgery results with special emphasis on use of a scoring scale. Am J Sports Med; 10-3:150-4
8. Tegner Y, Lysolm J. (1985) Rating Systems in the Evaluation of Knee Ligament Injuries. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research. Vol. 198: 43-49.
9. Tajima T, Yamaguchi N, Nagasawa M, Morita Y, Nakamura Y, Chosa E. Early weight-bearing after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstring grafts induce femoral bone tunnel enlargement: a prospective clinical and radiographic study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20(1):274. Published 2019 Jun 4. doi:10.1186/s12891-019-2653-6
10. Rizer M, Foremny GB, Rush A, III, Singer AD, Baraga M, Kaplan LD, Jose J. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction tunnel size: causes of tunnel enlargement and implications for single versus two-stage revision reconstruction. Skeletal Radial. 2017;46:161–169. doi: 10.1007/s00256-016-2535-z.
|How to Cite this article: Vijayaohan, V Shyam Gopal, Chandran M, Antony A | Functional Outcome in
Arthroscopic ACL Reconstruction with Immediate Full Weight Bearing Mobilization-Retrospective Study | Asian Journal of Arthroscopy | January- June 2021; 6(1): 03-07.