Volume 6 | Issue 2 | July-December 2021 | Page 12-19 | Nicolaas C. Budhiparama, Dwikora N. Utomo, Kukuh D. Hernugrahanto
Author: Nicolaas C. Budhiparama [1, 2, 3], Dwikora N. Utomo , Kukuh D. Hernugrahanto [4, 5]
 Nicolaas Institute of Constructive Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation for Arthroplasty and Sports Medicine, Jakarta, Indonesia.
 Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands.
 Department of Vocational Studies, University Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
 Department of Orthopedic & Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, University Airlangga, Indonesia.
 Dr. Soetomo General Academic Hospital, Surabaya, Indonesia.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Nicolaas C. Budhiparama,
Nicolaas Institute of Constructive Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation for Arthroplasty and Sports Medicine, Jakarta, Indonesia.
The high tibial osteotomy (HTO) is one attainable management of varus knee osteoarthritis. Particularly aimed at the young and active patient population. This procedure can alleviate the symptoms and restore alignment, which may significantly defer the requirement for knee arthroplasty in the future time. Close-wedge high tibial osteotomy (CW-HTO) is an effective option with minimal complication rate. Choosing between an open-wedge HTO, close-wedge HTO, or unicompartmental knee arthroplasty (UKA) for medial compartmental knee arthritis should be tailored to patients’ preoperative conditions and surgeons’ preferences. There is no clear evidence that one surgical method is superior to the other.
Keywords: High tibial osteotomy, Varus knee osteoarthritis, Medial compartment
1. Haddad FS, Bentley G. Total knee arthroplasty after high tibial osteotomy: a medium-term review. J Arthroplasty. 2000;15(5):597–603.
2. Yadav VP, Juyal A, Sharma S. Evaluation of lateral closed wedge high tibial osteotomy for medial compartment osteoarthritis. Bangladesh J Med Sci. 2015;14(4):389–92.
3. Hoell S, Suttmoeller J, Stoll V, Fuchs S, Gosheger G. The high tibial osteotomy, open versus closed wedge, a comparison of methods in 108 patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005;125(9):638–43.
4. Jackson JP, Waugh W. Tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1961;43(4):746–51.
5. Gariepy R. Genu varum treated by high tibial osteotomy. J Bone Jt Surg Br. 1964;46:783–4.
6. Coventry MB. Osteotomy of the upper portion of the tibia for degenerative arthritis of the knee. J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1965;47(5):984–90.
7. Smith JO, Wilson AJ, Thomas NP. Osteotomy around the knee: evolution, principles and results. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013;21(1):3–22.
8. Chul Lee MD D. High tibial osteotomy. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2012;24(2):149–61.
9. Rossi R, Bonasia DE, Amendola A. The role of high tibial osteotomy in the varus knee. JAAOS-Journal Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011;19(10):590–9.
10. Staubli AE, De Simoni C, Babst R, Lobenhoffer P. TomoFix: a new LCP-concept for open wedge osteotomy of the medial proximal tibia–early results in 92 cases. Injury. 2003;34:55–62.
11. Schröter S, Lobenhoffer P, Mueller J, Ihle C, Stöckle U, Albrecht D. Changes of patella position after closed and open wedge high tibial osteotomy: review of the literature. Orthopade. 2012;41(3):186–8.
12. El-Azab H, Glabgly P, Paul J, Imhoff AB, Hinterwimmer S. Patellar height and posterior tibial slope after open-and closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy: a radiological study on 100 patients. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38(2):323–9.
13. Tunggal JAW, Higgins GA, Waddell JP. Complications of closing wedge high tibial osteotomy. Int Orthop. 2010;34(2):255–61.
14. Atrey A, Morison Z, Tosounidis T, Tunggal J, Waddell JP. Complications of closing wedge high tibial osteotomies for unicompartmental osteoarthritis of the knee. Bone Joint Res. 2012;1(9):205–9.
15. Berruto M, Maione A, Tradati D, Ferrua P, Uboldi FM, Usellini E. Closing-wedge high tibial osteotomy, a reliable procedure for osteoarthritic varus knee. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc [Internet]. 2020;28(12):3955–61. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-020-05890-0
16. Marcheggiani Muccioli GM, Fratini S, Cammisa E, Vaccari V, Grassi A, Bragonzoni L, et al. Lateral Closing Wedge High Tibial Osteotomy for Medial Compartment Arthrosis or Overload. Clin Sports Med. 2019;38(3):375–86.
17. Hohmann E, Bryant A, Imhoff AB. The effect of closed wedge high tibial osteotomy on tibial slope: A radiographic study. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006;14(5):454–9.
18. Duerr RA, Harangody S, Magnussen RA, Kaeding CC, Flanigan DC. Technique for Medial Closing-Wedge Proximal Tibia Osteotomy in the Valgus Knee. Arthrosc Tech. 2020;9(7):e925–33.
19. Takeuchi R, Ishikawa H, Miyasaka Y, Sasaki Y, Kuniya T, Tsukahara S. A novel closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy procedure to treat osteoarthritis of the knee: hybrid technique and rehabilitation measures. Arthrosc Tech. 2014;3(4):e431–7.
20. Mattei L, Lea S, Nicolaci G, Ferrero G, Marmotti A, Castoldi F. Closing wedge tibial osteotomy: is it an actual procedure nowadays? planning. 2017;3:6.
21. Howells NR, Salmon L, Waller A, Scanelli J, Pinczewski LA. The outcome at ten years of lateral closingwedge high tibial osteotomy: Determinants of survival and functional outcome. Bone Jt J. 2014;96B(11):1491–7.
22. Cheng X, Liu F, Xiong F, Huang Y, Paulus AC. Radiographic changes and clinical outcomes after open and closed wedge high tibial osteotomy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Orthop Surg Res. 2019;14(1):1–15.
23. Habib MK, Khan ZA. Radiological, functional, and anatomical outcome in patients with osteoarthritic knee undergoing high tibial osteotomy. Sicot-J. 2019;5.
24. Efe T, Ahmed G, Heyse TJ, Boudriot U, Timmesfeld N, Fuchs-Winkelmann S, et al. Closing-wedge high tibial osteotomy: Survival and risk factor analysis at long-term follow up. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011;12:12–6.
25. Ramanoudjame M, Vandenbussche E, Baring T, Solignac N, Augereau B, Gregory T. Fibular nonunion after closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2012;98(8):863–7.
26. Kim J-H, Kim H-J, Lee D-H. Survival of opening versus closing wedge high tibial osteotomy: a meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):1–7.
27. Deng Y-J, Yuan Y, Ren Y-M, Li Q, Wang D, Yang Y, et al. Differences between open-wedge versus closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy on clinical and radiological outcomes and adverse events. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2018;11(5):4371–88.
28. Dettoni F, Bonasia DE, Castoldi F, Bruzzone M, Blonna D, Rossi R. High tibial osteotomy versus unicompartmental knee arthroplasty for medial compartment arthrosis of the knee: a review of the literature. Iowa Orthop J. 2010;30:131.
29. Santoso MB, Wu L. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty, is it superior to high tibial osteotomy in treating unicompartmental osteoarthritis? A meta-analysis and systemic review. J Orthop Surg Res. 2017;12(1):1–10.
30. Adravanti P, Budhiparama NC, Berend KR, Thienpont E. ACL-deficient knee and unicompartmental OA: state of the art. J ISAKOS. June, 2017
31. Thienpont E, Budhiparama NC. Current expert opinions about unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: Proceedings for the Partial Knee Meeting. January, 2017.
|How to Cite this article: Budhiparama NC, Utomo DN, Hernugrahanto KD | Lateral Closing-Wedge High Tibial Osteotomy in Unicompartmental Medial Knee Arthritis | Asian Journal of Arthroscopy | July- December 2021; 6(2): 12-19.|