Total Knee Replacement After High Tibial Osteotomy
Volume 6 | Issue 2 | July-December 2021 | Page 54-57 | Vijay C. Bose , Kalaivanan Kanniyan
Author: Vijay C. Bose , Kalaivanan Kanniyan 
 Asian-Joint Reconstruction Institute (AJRI), SIMS, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Vijay Bose,
Asian-Joint Reconstruction Institute (AJRI), SIMS, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA), post High Tibial osteotomy (HTO) continues to be an enigma with published reports of both good and suboptimal results in comparison to TKA for osteoarthritis (OA). The surgeons performing HTO must always employ TKR friendly techniques so that it is easy to apply the correct principles while conversion into TKA and have a very good results contradictory to the traditional historical conclusion. The bug bear of HTO is the post slope where common errors can occur even when performed by experienced surgeons. The norm is usually for the post slope to increase with the medial open wedge and for the post slope to decrease with lateral Closed wedge. The golden rule in Post HTO TKA conversion is to start off by resecting less bone. This is done so that inadvertent joint line variation from ideal is avoided. We then do extension space management by using various thickness of spacer hemi blocks. However individual cases may be different. Reliable results can be achieved in post HTO TKR if good planning and careful execution of the potentially problematic steps are undertaken. Residual soft tissue laxity necessitating increased constraint is more common in Post HTO TKR than in TKR for OA.
Keywords: Total Knee Replacement, High Tibial Osteotomy, Osteoarthritis
1. Gao, L., Madry, H., Chugaev, D.V. et al. Advances in modern osteotomies around the knee. J EXP ORTOP 6, 9 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40634-019-0177-5
2. Rand J, Neyret P (2005) ISAKOS meeting on the management of osteoarthritis of the knee prior to total knee arthroplasty. In: ISAKOS congress.
3. Hui C et al, Long-term survival of high tibial osteotomy for medial compartment osteoarthritis of the knee. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Jan;39(1):64-70. doi: 10.1177/0363546510377445. Epub 2010 Sep 10. PMID: 20833833.
4. Song, Sang Jun et al. “Conversion Total Knee Arthroplasty after Failed High Tibial Osteotomy.” Knee surgery & related research vol. 28,2 (2016): 89-98. doi:10.5792/ksrr.2016.28.2.89
5. Efe T, Ahmed G, Heyse TJ, Boudriot U, Timmesfeld N, Fuchs-Winkelmann S, Ishaque B, Lakemeier S, Schofer MD. Closing-wedge high tibial osteotomy: survival and risk factor analysis at long-term follow up. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011;12:46.
6. Hoemann C et al (2011) International cartilage repair society (ICRS) recommended guidelines for histological endpoints for cartilage repair studies in animal models and clinical trials. Cartilage 2:153–172.
7. Krych AJ, Hevesi M, Desai VS, Camp CL, Stuart MJ, Saris DBF (2018) Learning from failure in cartilage repair surgery: an analysis of the mode of failure of primary procedures in consecutive cases at a tertiary referral center. Orthop J Sports Med 6:2325967118773041.
8. Cross M, et al. The global burden of hip and knee osteoarthritis: estimates from the global burden of disease 2010 study. Ann Rheum Dis 2014;73:1323–30.
9. Hofmann AA, Kane KR. Total knee arthroplasty after high tibial osteotomy. Orthopedics 1994; 17(9): 887-90
10. Vince KG, Abdeen A, Sugimori T. The unstable total knee arthroplasty: Causes and cures. J Arthroplasty 2006; 21(4)(Suppl. 1): 44-9.
11. Pritsch M, Fitzgerald RH Jr, Bryan RS. Surgical treatment of ligamentous instability after total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1984; 102(3): 154-8.
12. Wataru Kusano et al ., Total Knee Arthroplasty Conversion after Open-wedge High Tibial Osteotomy. The open orthopedics journal, 2021,15: 53-56
13. Noda T, Yasuda S, Nagano K, Takahara Y, Namba Y, Inoue H. Clinico-radiological study of total knee arthroplasty after high tibial osteotomy. J Orthop Sci 2000; 5(1): 25-36.
14. Gebhard F, Krettek C, Hufner T, Grützner PA, Stockle U, Imhoff AB, Lorenz S, Ljungqvist J, Keppler P; AO CSEG. Reliability of computer-assisted surgery as an intraoperative ruler in navigated high tibial osteotomy. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2011;131:297-302
15. Kim HJ, Kim YG, Min SG, Kyung HS. Total knee arthroplasty conversion after open-wedge high tibial osteotomy: A report of three cases. Knee. 2016 Dec;23(6):1164-1167. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2016.06.010. Epub 2016 Oct 31. PMID: 27810432.
16. Wataru Kusano et al ., Total Knee Arthroplasty Conversion after Open-wedge High Tibial Osteotomy. The open orthopedics journal, 2021,15: 53-56
17. Erak S, Naudie D, MacDonald SJ, McCalden RW, Rorabeck CH, Bourne RB. Total knee arthroplasty following medial opening wedge tibial osteotomy: Technical issues early clinical radiological results. Knee 2011; 18(6): 499-504.
18. Billings et al. High Tibial Osteotomy with a Calibrated Osteotomy Guide, Rigid Internal Fixation, and Early Motion. Long-Term Follow-up*, The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery: January 2000 – Volume 82 – Issue 1 – p 70-9.
19. Meding JB, Keating EM, Ritter MA, Faris PM. Total knee arthroplasty after high tibial osteotomy. A comparison study in patients who had bilateral total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000 Sep;82(9):1252-9. doi: 10.2106/00004623-200009000-00005. PMID: 11005516.
20. Sun X, Wang J, Su Z. A meta-analysis of total knee arthroplasty following high tibial osteotomy versus primary total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2020 Apr;140(4):527-535. doi: 10.1007/s00402-020-03333-6. Epub 2020 Jan 30. PMID: 32002662; PMCID: PMC7109181.
21. Windsor RE, Insall JN, Vince KG. Technical considerations of total knee arthroplasty after proximal tibial osteotomy. JBone Joint Surg Am. 1988;70(4):547–55. Apr.
22. Katz M M, Hungerford D S, Krackow K A, Lennox D W. Results of total knee arthroplasty after failed proximal tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1987; 69(2)225–33
23. Rozkydal et al, Total knee replacement following high tibial osteotomy]. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2003;70(3):158-63. Czech. PMID: 12882099.
24. Parvizi J, Hanssen AD, Spangehl MJ. Total knee arthroplasty following proximal tibial osteotomy: risk factors for failure. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 Mar;86(3):474-9. doi: 10.2106/00004623-200403000-00003. PMID: 14996871.
25. Codie A. Primeau et al, Total knee replacement after high tibial osteotomy: time-to-event analysis and predictors, CMAJ Feb 2021, 193 (5) E158-E166; DOI: 10.1503/cmaj.200934
|How to Cite this article: Bose VC, Kanniyan K | Total Knee Replacement After High Tibial Osteotomy | Asian Journal of Arthroscopy | July-December 2021; 6(2): 54-57.|