S R Sundararajan, Terrance D’souza, Ramakanth Rajagopal, S Rajasekaran
Volume 5 | Issue 1 | Jan – April 2020 | Page 9-13
Author: S R Sundararajan , Terrance D’souza , Ramakanth Rajagopal , S Rajasekaran 
 Department of Arthroscopy and sports medicine. Ganga hospital, Coimbatore, India.
 Department of Orthopaedics, Ganga hospital, Coimbatore, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. S. R Sundararajan,
Department of Arthroscopy and sports medicine. Ganga hospital, Coimbatore, India.
MLKI’S are on the rise due to increasing number of Road traffic accidents (RTA). MLKI’s are often challenging injuries to treat especially when they are associated with periarticular fractures and/or neurovascular deficits. These additional knee injuries can affect the surgical timing of ligament injuries and also can affect the outcome. The existing literature lacks clear-cut guidelines regarding approach and management of MLKI’s with these associated injuries. This descriptive review is an attempt to highlight key concepts from the existing literature, along with our experience in treating MLKI’s with these associated injuries and formulate protocols that could help clinicians in their day to day practice.
Keywords: MLKI, KDV, Periarticular fractures, Neurovascular injuries, Vascular assessment, CPN palsy, Staged reconstruction.
1. Levy BA, Dajani KA, Whelan DB, Stannard JP, Fanelli GC, Stuart MJ, et al. Decision Making in the Multiligament-Injured Knee: An Evidence-Based Systematic Review. Arthrosc – J Arthrosc Relat Surg [Internet]. 2009;25(4):430–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2009.01.008
2. Moatshe G, Dornan GJ, Løken S, Ludvigsen TC, Laprade RF, Engebretsen L. Demographics and injuries associated with knee dislocation: A prospective review of 303 patients. Orthop J Sport Med. 2017;5(5):1–5.
3. Porrino J, Richardson ML, Hovis K, Twaddle B, Gee A. Association of Tibial Plateau Fracture Morphology With Ligament Disruption in the Context of Multiligament Knee Injury. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol [Internet]. 2018;47(6):410–6. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1067/j.cpradiol.2017.09.001
4. Matthewson G, Kwapisz A, Sasyniuk T, MacDonald P. Vascular Injury in the Multiligament Injured Knee. Clin Sports Med. 2019;38(2):199–213.
5. Hoit G, Farag J, Whelan DB. Neurologic Assessment and Management of the Multiple Ligament Injured Knee: A Review and Synthesis of Current Evidence. J Knee Surg. 2019;
6. Wascher DC, Dvirnak PC, Decoster TA. Knee dislocation: Initial assessment and implications for treatment. J Orthop Trauma. 1997;11(7):525–9.
7. Al-Dadah O, Hing C. The Multiple Ligament Injured Knee. Vol. 27, Knee. 2020. 1–2 p.
8. Cinque ME, Godin JA, Moatshe G, Chahla J, Kruckeberg BM, Pogorzelski J, et al. Do tibial plateau fractures worsen outcomes of knee ligament injuries?: A matched cohort analysis. Orthop J Sport Med. 2017;5(8):4–9.
9. Green NE, Allen BL. Vascular injuries associated with dislocation of the knee. J Bone Jt Surg – Ser A. 1977;59(2):236–9.
10. Aigner F, Longato S, Gardetto A, Deibl M, Fritsch H, Piza-Katzer H. Anatomic survey of the common fibular nerve and its branching pattern with regard to the intermuscular septa of the leg. Clin Anat. 2004;17(6):503–12.
11. Cush G, Irgit K. Drop foot after knee dislocation: Evaluation and treatment. Sports Med Arthrosc. 2011;19(2):139–46.
12. Schenck RC, Richter DL, Wascher DC. Knee dislocations: Lessons learned from 20-year follow-up. Orthop J Sport Med. 2014;2(5):1–10.
13. Sabesan VJ, Danielsky PJ, Childs A, Valikodath T. Multiligament knee injuries with associated tibial plateau fractures: A report of two cases. World J Orthop. 2015;6(3):363–8.
14. Nicandri GT, Dunbar RP, Wahl CJ. Are evidence-based protocols which identify vascular injury associated with knee dislocation underutilized? Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010;18(8):1005–12.
15. Martinez D, Sweatman K, Thompson EC. Popliteal artery injury associated with knee dislocations. Am Surg [Internet]. 2001 Feb [cited 2020 Feb 14];67(2):165–7. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11243542
16. Maslaris A, Brinkmann O, Bungartz M, Krettek C, Jagodzinski M, Liodakis E. Management of knee dislocation prior to ligament reconstruction: What is the current evidence? Update of a universal treatment algorithm. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol [Internet]. 2018;28(6):1001–15. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-018-2148-4
17. Johnson ME, Foster L, DeLee JC. Neurologic and vascular injuries associated with knee ligament injuries. Am J Sports Med. 2008;36(12):2448–62.
18. Moatshe G, Chahla J, LaPrade RF, Engebretsen L. Diagnosis and treatment of multiligament knee injury: state of the art. J ISAKOS Jt Disord Orthop Sport Med. 2017;2(3):152–61.
19. Patterson BM, Agel J, Swiontkowski MF, MacKenzie EJ, Bosse MJ, Kellam JF, et al. Knee dislocations with vascular injury: Outcomes in the Lower Extremity Assessment Project (LEAP) study. J Trauma – Inj Infect Crit Care. 2007;63(4):855–8.
20. Sanders TL, Johnson NR, Levy NM, Cole PA, Krych AJ, Stuart M, et al. Effect of vascular injury on functional outcome in knees with multi-ligament injury: A matched-cohort analysis. J Bone Jt Surg – Am Vol. 2017;99(18):1565–71.
21. Peskun CJ, Chahal J, Steinfeld ZY, Whelan DB. Risk factors for peroneal nerve injury and recovery in knee dislocation. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470(3):774–8.
22. Nobel W. Peroneal palsy due to hematoma in the common peroneal nerve sheath after distal torsional fractures and inversion ankle sprains. J Bone Joint Surg Am [Internet]. 1966 Dec [cited 2020 Feb 15];48(8):1484–95. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4289139
23. Prince MR, King AH, Shin AY, Bishop AT, Stuart MJ, Levy BA. Peroneal Nerve Injuries: Repair, Grafting, and Nerve Transfers. Oper Tech Sports Med. 2015;23(4):357–61.
24. Gruber H, Peer S, Meirer R, Bodner G. Peroneal nerve palsy associated with knee luxation: Evaluation by sonography – Initial experiences. Am J Roentgenol. 2005;185(5):1119–25.
|How to Cite this article: Sundararajan S R, D’souza T, Rajagopal R, Rajasekaran S| Management of Multiligament knee injuries(mlki’s) with concomitant fractures and neurovascular injuries- A descriptive review | Asian Journal of Arthroscopy | January-April 2020; 5(1): 9-13.|